ART/Performance — Archive Bound: The Measures by Jacqueline Goss and Jenny Perlin 12/3/15 *nyc #TheNewSchool
Archive Bound: The Measures by Jacqueline Goss and Jenny Perlin
Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 6:30 pm
Orozco Room, Alvin Johnson/J.M. Kaplan Hall 66 West 12th Street, Room A712, New York, NY 10011
Archive Bound examines methodologies within the presentation, documentation, historiography, and exhibition display of non-object based and site-specific artworks. Additionally, the exhibition at the Center for Book Arts includes books, photographs, and ephemera associated with Conceptual, Performance, and Site-Specific Art practices. Several first generation avant-garde figures lay the groundwork for a discourse on the contemporary utilization of these crucial genres. A performance series is being held in conjunction with the exhibition at The New School.
On December 3, artists Jacqueline Goss and Jenny Perlin presents The Measures. Their essayistic performance considers the travails of two French astronomers/ mathematicians as they measure the earth’s meridian arc from Dunkirk to Barcelona as part of an attempt to determine the appropriate length of a meter at the end of the 1700s, as the filmmakers retrace the scientists’ route. From the Mediterranean Sea to the English Channel, The Measures explores the metric system’s origins during the violence and upheavals of the French Revolution. Along the way, Goss and Perlin consider the intertwining of political and personal turmoil, the failures of standardization, and the subtleties of collaboration. The film will be screened with a live voiceover by Goss and Perlin.
Jacqueline Goss makes movies and web-based works that explore how political, cultural, and scientific systems change the ways we think about ourselves. For the last few years she has used 2D digital animation techniques to work within the genre of the animated documentary.
Jenny Perlin makes films, videos, installations, and drawings. Her projects draw on interdisciplinary research interests in history, cultural studies, literature and linguistics. Her films incorporate innovative techniques to investigate history as it relates to the present. Perlin shoots 16mm film and digital video and combines live-action, staged, and documentary images with hand-drawn, text-based animation.
Also as a part of the evening, New School curator Silvia Rocciolo will present a talk on the Jose Clemente Orozco murals from The New School’s art collection.
Sponsored by the Center for Book Arts and The New School, the performance series is held in conjunction with the Archive Bound exhibition at The Center for Book Arts on view from October 2 – December 12, 2015.
The Center for Book Arts is dedicated to exploring and cultivating contemporary aesthetic interpretations of the book as an art object, while preserving the traditional practices of the art of the book.
Support for the Center for Book Arts’ Visual Arts Program is provided, in part, by the New York State Council on the Arts, with the support of Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council, and by the National Endowment for the Arts. For more information, visit Centerforbookarts.org.
Admission: Free; reservations required at Eventbrite.com at the button.
November 8, 2015 - Posted by luckygirlmedia | ART, BUSINESS, CULTURE, ENTREPRENEURS, LIFESTYLES, opportunity, TECHNOLOGY, We Recommend | #ArchiveBoundTheMeasuresByJacquelineGossAndJennyPerlin, #art, #authors, #CenterForBookArts, #culture, #entrepreneurs, #family, #filmmaking, #FREE, #performance, #TheNewSchool, #women, Archive Bound, Archive Bound: The Measures by Jacqueline Goss and Jenny Perlin, avant-garde, Education, entertainment, Jacqueline Goss, Jenny Perlin, NYC, remarkable works, technology, The Measures, The New School, transmedia
No comments yet.
This is What WE Do
This is the public consumer site containing some of the “best of” recommendations of LuckyGirl MEDIA.
LuckyGirl MEDIA is a business-to-business newsfeed that covers and syndicates stories on BUSINESS, ARTS, TECHNOLOGY and CULTURE, all from a women’s perspective. We cover the gamut from gamers to grandmothers, profiling executives, entrepreneurs, designers, professionals and artists. We provide reviews, spot trends and provide HOLIDAY and “BEST OF” guides.
LuckyGirl MEDIA provides services to local daily papers, alternative weeklies, monthly magazines, international and national papers and websites. Our client list is private.
blasts from our past
- Follow LuckyGirl MEDIA recommends on WordPress.com
- DANCE! This Weekend!Periapsis Open Series *Bklyn 4/28,29 &@30! ln.is/wordpress.com/… https://t.co/SwJ88MI19JHave YOU Seen...? 6 hours ago
- thewrap.com.ln.is/wjHWT via @TheWrapHave YOU Seen...? 13 hours ago
- RT @SemanticEarth: #Health on @Bosulif @dentlet @Ann_Nonymous_MD @luckygirlmedia @VMayherdmd via @SemanticEarth #recommended https://t.co/U…Have YOU Seen...? 14 hours ago
- RT @rabihalameddine: Good morning 6a https://t.co/4UUOAgPDvWHave YOU Seen...? 2 days ago
- RT @rabihalameddine: Good morning 6c https://t.co/8tDLFiK2ycHave YOU Seen...? 2 days ago
- RT @rabihalameddine: The only thing better than singing is more singing. --Ella Fitzgerald https://t.co/BTw7N6f4UqHave YOU Seen...? 2 days ago
- RT @rabihalameddine: @BabsSCL I worship her.Have YOU Seen...? 2 days ago
- RT @rabihalameddine: Pierre Bonnard - Nude with Lamp - 1900 https://t.co/1GEqBFq97wHave YOU Seen...? 2 days ago
- RT @rabihalameddine: Lyonel Feininger, Usine la nuit, 1952 https://t.co/ysJVwJE9QYHave YOU Seen...? 2 days ago
- RT @RVAwonk: Remember when the Republican party used to care about national security? What a shameful turn they've taken. #BurrMustRecuse h…Have YOU Seen...? 2 days ago
- RT @AndreaChalupa: Here we are again demanding a Republican leader step aside for a fair investigation of #RussiaGate. #BurrMustRecuse http…Have YOU Seen...? 2 days ago
- RT @RepSwalwell: These numbers reflect 1) we were attacked 2) we need to know if #TrumpRussia ties played a role 3) no one wants this to ha…Have YOU Seen...? 2 days ago
- RT @MomKnwsBstOnLn: #prnewswire Rachael Ray Nutrish Named Fastest Growing US Pet Food Brand by goo.gl/oDkdzdHave YOU Seen...? 2 days ago
- RT @MomKnwsBstOnLn: #Huffington Brie Larson: Friendship With Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence 'Saved My Life' goo.gl/j9y4BdHave YOU Seen...? 2 days ago
- RT @MomKnwsBstOnLn: #Huffington Nina Simone Said She Almost Killed A Man For Not Paying Her In Vintage Clip goo.gl/a6oElGHave YOU Seen...? 2 days ago
- RT @MomKnwsBstOnLn: #prnewswire International Halal Food Conference Discusses the Changing Paradigm in Halal goo.gl/dm1LNdHave YOU Seen...? 2 days ago
- RT @MomKnwsBstOnLn: #Reuters U.S. says raised deep concerns with Turkey over air strikes goo.gl/5OP7lwHave YOU Seen...? 2 days ago
- RT @MomKnwsBstOnLn: #Reuters Thousands protest against Serb government and flagship project goo.gl/VgJ9gfHave YOU Seen...? 2 days ago
- knightfoundation.org.ln.is/5N2MnHave YOU Seen...? 2 days ago
- @VantagePointGuy thanks for following. Via @FindUnfollower bit.ly/UnfollowedFreeHave YOU Seen...? 3 days ago
Site infoLuckyGirl MEDIA recommends
Blog at WordPress.com.