BOOKS – BUDDHA FOR BEGINNERS
We pretty much LOVE all of the FOR BEGINNERS series of books. We have held many of them in high regard and always recommend them as gifts. The books are always nicely illustrated, with beautiful covers; all of them certainly impart knowledge and wisdom in easily digestible segments and chapters with a breadth of knowledge on the subject. We especially appreciate the unflinching coverage of subjects distinguished from the mainstream.
Buddha For Beginners
By Stephen T. Asma, PhD
Despite the widespread popularity of Buddhist practices (like meditation), there is little understanding of the complex philosophy behind Buddhism. The historical Buddha, Gautama, was a real person—a radical—who challenged the religious leaders of his day. Buddha For Beginners introduces the reader to the historical Buddha, to the ideas that made him change his life, and to the fascinating philosophical debates that engaged him and formed the core of Buddhism.
Buddha For Beginners compares Buddha’s philosophy with those of his contemporaries, the later Buddhist schools, and Western Philosophy. The book includes a survey, distinguishing the philosophical differences of later schools like Theravada, Madhyamaika, Tantric, Zen, and others.
Buddha For Beginners is not a book you read, it is a book you experience. It makes you stop and close your eyes. Through some magical combination of words, drawings, and intuitive wisdom, Buddha For Beginners conveys not only the facts of Buddhism, but the peace, the silence…the feel of it. It is historically accurate, spiritually challenging, and the white spaces mean as much as the words.
Stephen T. Asma, PhD, is Professor of Philosophy in the Department of Humanities, History, and Social Sciences at Columbia College Chicago, where he currently holds the titles of Distinguished Scholar and Fellow of the LAS Research Group in Mind, Science and Culture. In 2003, Dr. Asma was Visiting Professor at the Buddhist Institute in Phnom Penh, Kingdom of Cambodia.
Dr. Asma is the author of several books: Against Fairness: In Favor of Favoritism (University of Chicago Press, forthcoming); Why I Am A Buddhist (Hampton Roads, 2010); On Monsters: an Unnatural History of Our Worst Fears (Oxford University Press, 2009); Stuffed Animals and Pickled Heads: The Culture and Evolution of Natural History Museums (Oxford University Press, 2001);Following Form and Function (Northwestern University Press, 1996); and more. His book The Gods Drink Whiskey: Stumbling Toward Enlightenment in the Land of the Tattered Buddha (HarperOne, 2005) explores the Theravada Buddhism of the region. He frequently writes on topics that bridge the humanities and sciences, including articles for the Chicago Tribune, In These Times magazine, the Skeptical Inquirer, the Chronicle Review, Skepticmagazine, and Chicago Public Radio’s news-magazine show Eight-Forty-Eight.
Illustrated by Stephen T. Asma, PhD
Price: US $15.95
6×9 | Pages: 160
eBook ISBN: 978-1-939994-34-9
eBook Price: US $15.95
May 19, 2015 publication date!
April 24, 2015 - Posted by luckygirlmedia | ART, BUSINESS, CULTURE, ENTREPRENEURS, GUIDES, LIFESTYLES, opportunity, Uncategorized, We Recommend | #art, #authors, #books, #BooksForBeginners, #BuddhaForBeginners, #culture, #family, #ForBeginners, #StephenTAsma, #words, Buddha For Beginners, DIY, Dr Stephen T Asma, drawings, Education, entertainment, fun, health, Madhyamaika, philosophy, religion, religious studies, remarkable works, Stephen T Asma, Tantric, Theravada, Zen
No comments yet.
This is What WE Do
This is the public consumer site containing some of the “best of” recommendations of LuckyGirl MEDIA.
LuckyGirl MEDIA is a business-to-business newsfeed that covers and syndicates stories on BUSINESS, ARTS, TECHNOLOGY and CULTURE, all from a women’s perspective. We cover the gamut from gamers to grandmothers, profiling executives, entrepreneurs, designers, professionals and artists. We provide reviews, spot trends and provide HOLIDAY and “BEST OF” guides.
LuckyGirl MEDIA provides services to local daily papers, alternative weeklies, monthly magazines, international and national papers and websites. Our client list is private.
blasts from our past
- Follow LuckyGirl MEDIA recommends on WordPress.com
- RT @AndyVanDyke: Your value doesn't decrease... https://t.co/8BgyrdStDpHave YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @FarmFairyCrafts: Heirloom Tomato Seeds Organic Non-GMO- Fruit Selected & Bred for Appearance, Flavor, Sun-Scald & Crack Resistance: htt…Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @FarmFairyCrafts: DuPont and the Chemistry of Deception. Good piece by @fastlerner. Remember it when DuPont says their #GMOs are safe. h…Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @ryan_a_bell: Be an artist. https://t.co/5ZOVM81bypHave YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @MattManero: Invest in people who invest in you.💯 #FridayFeelingHave YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @RobotSteve2016: If Trump were the mayor of London his solution to this week's tragedy would be to ban all Muslims from driving.Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @Loawords11: May your heart keep whispering to you and reminding and reassuring you that all is love, and that all is very, very well.Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @Numerology2016: The missing ingredient to manifest abundance, wealth, health, love and more (video) bit.ly/thesecret234 https://t.c…Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @FarmFairyCrafts: Info: Urban #Permaculture, How to Turn Your Lawn into Food, & Neighborhood into a Community: FoodNotLawns.com h…Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @FarmFairyCrafts: Heirloom Tomato Seeds #Organic #NonGMO, Plants Selected for Vigor, Disease Resistance, & High Production: https://t.co…Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @RawStory: 11 things corp. media won’t tell you about Timothy Caughman — an unarmed Black man stabbed by a white supremacist https://t.c…Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @yogatailor: Choose happiness! #FridayFeeling #quotes #qotd https://t.co/AXdNk30QI3Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- Motley Crue Biopic 'The Dirt' Landing at Netflix (Exclusive) ln.is/com/TATcq via @thrHave YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @RVAwonk: Woah. @RepAdamSchiff just said new evidence of #TrumpRussia collusion "would merit a grand jury investigation." (!!) https://t…Have YOU Seen...? 12 hours ago
- ln.is/www.thewrap.co… via @TheWrapHave YOU Seen...? 12 hours ago
- RT @FranSeenWrites: Good morning everyone. I'm aiming to be super productive today. Hope everyone has a nice day.😎 https://t.co/hTXOmEmIazHave YOU Seen...? 15 hours ago
- RT @nytmike: Nunes, who spent much of Monday's Comey hearing criticizing leaks, just came out and discussed wiretaps, which are .. you know…Have YOU Seen...? 15 hours ago
- RT @ASlavitt: 500,000 jobs added to health-care sector under Obamacare, Goldman Sachs estimates cnbc.com/2017/03/23/500…Have YOU Seen...? 15 hours ago
- RT @Multeepass: 3/5 of these, I did not know. I'm ashamed. twitter.com/blacktolive/st…Have YOU Seen...? 15 hours ago
- RT @RepAdamSchiff: The Senate should reject Neil Gorsuch. He is not a moderate in mold of Merrick Garland. Otherwise, GOP will use that dep…Have YOU Seen...? 15 hours ago
Site infoLuckyGirl MEDIA recommends
Blog at WordPress.com.