PROTOTYPE : all-female minimalist opera Have A Good Day! 1/15-19
As part of the ever expanding APAP universe that swirls into New York like a healthy blast of fine fresh air, PROTOTYPE unveils an intriguing mix of musical theatre and opera
Have A Good Day (Jan15-19) is brought to you thanks to an all female creative team (composer, librettist and director) and 10 female singers
- Have A Good Day!
- Paul’s Case
- Visitations: “Theotokia” and “The War Reporter”
- Angel’s Bone
- The Lounge
- PROTOTYPE Conversations
- View Show Listing
Have A Good Day!
- buy tickets
- share this
About the Show
Have a Good Day! is minimalistic and conceptual work for 10 singing cashiers, supermarket sounds and piano.
The plot of the opera by composer Lina Lapelytė and librettist Vaiva Grainytė, directed by Rugilé Bardziukaité, is set around the inner lives of cashiers in a shopping centre: shows what lies behind their mechanical “Good afternoon!“, “Thank you!“, “Have a good day!” and fake smile. Faceless, robot-like shop workers found in everyday life are transformed into unique and lively characters; their secret thoughts and biographies are turned into short, personal dramas. The characters of different saleswomen, impersonating universal archetypes, convey predominant social landscape. The libretto is a revealing mosaic of spoken, literary language and documentary.
The atmosphere of the supermarket is established by glinting and buzzing installation of the daylight lamps and environmental sounds, connecting the audience space and the stage with 10 cashiers. The set itself is very minimalistic: real goods – sort of obligatory decoration of a shopping center – exist only in acoustic and verbal form.
The monotonous beep that happens every time an item is being scanned is a key sound through the whole opera. It gets louder and quieter but it is always present. Songs that accompany the beeping are as monotonous as the process of shopping and selling. Instead of becoming the main point of the opera, music serves the thoughts of the cashiers – it facilitates their voice.
To avoid any moral or condemnatory suggestion, a critical attitude towards capitalism is expressed through humor, paradox, irony and poetry. The mosaic of different destinies is transformed into one poem suggesting the pleasure of consumption.
A Post-Show Conversation about Global Indie Opera will follow the January 16 show.
Have a Good Day! was premiered at the CAC (Contemporary Art Center), Vilnius in 2011 at the 4th. NOA (New Opera Action) festival produced by OPEROMANIJA. In 2013 it was further developed in part with funds from Lithuanian Ministry of Culture and was selected by an International Theatre Institute (ITI) jury for presentation at final “Music Theatre NOW 2013” competition (Biennial for Performing Arts, Jönköping, Sweden), where the work was awarded Globe Teana-Theatre Observation prize.
Composer: Lina Lapelyte
Librettist/Subtitles: Vaiva Grainyte
Director: Rugile Barzdziukaite
Producer: Ana Ablamonova
Svetlana Liudmila Statkeviciene
Rima Inga Soviene
Pianist: Kestutis Pavalkis
Light Design: Eugenijus Sabaliauskas
Supported by the Ministry of Culture of Lithuania
Vaiva Grainytė is a Lithuanian writer, poet, essayist and editor of art news website www.kamane.lt. Studied theatre history and critic in LMTA (Vilnius). Using her texts as media, she collaborates with various artists. Her debut book “Beijing Diaries” was nominated for the “Book of the Year 2012”. In 2012 the opera „Have a Good Day!“ libretto was selected by Women Playwrights International Conference jury and included into the readings programme (Sweden, Stockholm).
Lina Lapelytė lives and works in London and Vilnius. She is an artist, composer and performer currently exploring the phenomenon of song. Using song as an object, Lina examines the issues of displacement, otherness and beauty. Lapelytė has been exhibiting and performing at the DRAF, ICA, Tate Modern, BBC Proms, CAC (Vilnius), CCA (Glasgow), Ikon gallery, Skopje Biennale and the Holland Festival. Recently Lapelyte has been shortlisted for the Arts Foundation Award (judged by Brian Eno, Richard Whitelaw and Hamish Dunbar) and will be showing her newest work performance Candy Shop at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London in January 2014.
Rugilė Barzdžiukaitė completed documentary film, theatre directing and cinematography studies. She applies interdisciplinary experience in film and theatre works, avoiding direct synthesis of expressions, meanwhile exploring the tention between documentary and fiction, performing and being, filming and seeing. Rugile’s audiovisual works in Ireland, Russia, South Africa were granted prizes and scholarships.
OPEROMANIJA is a movement of artists of the younger generation from various spheres, whose goal is to create contemporary opera. Since 2008, OPEROMANIJA has organized five contemporary opera festivals NOA (New Opera Action) and staged over 30 contemporary Lithuanian operas.
Ana Ablamonova is a Lithuanian performing arts producer with 9 years experience acquired mostly in the field of music theatre. Founder and director of Contemporary opera festival NOA (New Opera Action) and movement of contemporary music theatre and interdisciplinary art OPEROMANIJA. Graduated with Master’s degree in Music Management from the Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre (2009). Also holds a Master’s degree in Choir Conducting from the Saint Petersburg State University of Culture and Arts (2007). Winner of the EU program for young art managers “Gulliver Connect”.” Her productions are appreciated on national and international levels: Best Stage Work of the Year (cycle of operas at the 1st Contemporary opera festival NOA, 2008), Lithuanian Golden Stage Cross (best debut of the year – monodrama-opera “Izadora”, 2009), Theatre NOW (award of Tbilisi International Theatre Festival for the multimedia opera “ID”, 2011), Globe-Teana Theatre Observation Award (Music Theatre NOW competition and for the opera “Have a Good Day!”, 2013).
2010–2013 – Member of the Opera Europa Young Delegates Think Tank.
Since 2012 Ana has served as Head of the Art Centre at the Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre.
145 6th Avenue, New York, NY Entry on Dominick St.
Words that are sung become much more powerful than the spoken word, even if they talk about the everyday routines and real life troubles. Here we find the paradox of theatre – as well the power of it. This performance has to be seen more than once!
— Vaidas Jauniškis, Menų Faktūra
December 30, 2013 - Posted by luckygirlmedia | ART, CULTURE, ENTREPRENEURS, HOLIDAY GUIDES, opportunity, We Recommend | #authors, #capitalism, #cashiers, #consumption, #entrepreneurs, #family, #festivals, #HaveAGoodDay, #HERE, #Lithuania, #musicaltheatre, #OPEROMANIJA, #performance, #Sweden, #women, all female, Biennial for Performing Arts, Composer, directed, entertainment, fun, Globe Teana-Theatre Observation prize., Jönköping, Kristina Svolkinaite, librettist, Lina Dambrauskaite, Lina Lapelytė, Lina Valioniene, Lithuanian, Liucina Blazevic, Milda Zapolskaite, minimalist opera, music, New Opera Action, NYC, opera, panels, PROTOTYPE, Rima Inga Soviene, Rita Raciuniene, Rugilé Bardziukaité, Svetlana Liudmila Statkeviciene, Vaiva Grainytė, Veronika Cicinskaite-Golovanova, Vida Valuckiene
3 Comments »
This is What WE Do
This is the public consumer site containing some of the “best of” recommendations of LuckyGirl MEDIA.
LuckyGirl MEDIA is a business-to-business newsfeed that covers and syndicates stories on BUSINESS, ARTS, TECHNOLOGY and CULTURE, all from a women’s perspective. We cover the gamut from gamers to grandmothers, profiling executives, entrepreneurs, designers, professionals and artists. We provide reviews, spot trends and provide HOLIDAY and “BEST OF” guides.
LuckyGirl MEDIA provides services to local daily papers, alternative weeklies, monthly magazines, international and national papers and websites. Our client list is private.
blasts from our past
- Follow LuckyGirl MEDIA recommends on WordPress.com
- RT @AndyVanDyke: Your value doesn't decrease... https://t.co/8BgyrdStDpHave YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @FarmFairyCrafts: Heirloom Tomato Seeds Organic Non-GMO- Fruit Selected & Bred for Appearance, Flavor, Sun-Scald & Crack Resistance: htt…Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @FarmFairyCrafts: DuPont and the Chemistry of Deception. Good piece by @fastlerner. Remember it when DuPont says their #GMOs are safe. h…Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @ryan_a_bell: Be an artist. https://t.co/5ZOVM81bypHave YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @MattManero: Invest in people who invest in you.💯 #FridayFeelingHave YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @RobotSteve2016: If Trump were the mayor of London his solution to this week's tragedy would be to ban all Muslims from driving.Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @Loawords11: May your heart keep whispering to you and reminding and reassuring you that all is love, and that all is very, very well.Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @Numerology2016: The missing ingredient to manifest abundance, wealth, health, love and more (video) bit.ly/thesecret234 https://t.c…Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @FarmFairyCrafts: Info: Urban #Permaculture, How to Turn Your Lawn into Food, & Neighborhood into a Community: FoodNotLawns.com h…Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @FarmFairyCrafts: Heirloom Tomato Seeds #Organic #NonGMO, Plants Selected for Vigor, Disease Resistance, & High Production: https://t.co…Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @RawStory: 11 things corp. media won’t tell you about Timothy Caughman — an unarmed Black man stabbed by a white supremacist https://t.c…Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @yogatailor: Choose happiness! #FridayFeeling #quotes #qotd https://t.co/AXdNk30QI3Have YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- Motley Crue Biopic 'The Dirt' Landing at Netflix (Exclusive) ln.is/com/TATcq via @thrHave YOU Seen...? 1 hour ago
- RT @RVAwonk: Woah. @RepAdamSchiff just said new evidence of #TrumpRussia collusion "would merit a grand jury investigation." (!!) https://t…Have YOU Seen...? 12 hours ago
- ln.is/www.thewrap.co… via @TheWrapHave YOU Seen...? 12 hours ago
- RT @FranSeenWrites: Good morning everyone. I'm aiming to be super productive today. Hope everyone has a nice day.😎 https://t.co/hTXOmEmIazHave YOU Seen...? 15 hours ago
- RT @nytmike: Nunes, who spent much of Monday's Comey hearing criticizing leaks, just came out and discussed wiretaps, which are .. you know…Have YOU Seen...? 15 hours ago
- RT @ASlavitt: 500,000 jobs added to health-care sector under Obamacare, Goldman Sachs estimates cnbc.com/2017/03/23/500…Have YOU Seen...? 15 hours ago
- RT @Multeepass: 3/5 of these, I did not know. I'm ashamed. twitter.com/blacktolive/st…Have YOU Seen...? 15 hours ago
- RT @RepAdamSchiff: The Senate should reject Neil Gorsuch. He is not a moderate in mold of Merrick Garland. Otherwise, GOP will use that dep…Have YOU Seen...? 15 hours ago
Site infoLuckyGirl MEDIA recommends
Blog at WordPress.com.